Frederick A. Crawford is a shareholder of Richardson Plowden & Robinson in the Columbia office. He focuses his practice on accounting malpractice defense, business, contract and corporate law, estate planning, probate administration, hospital/healthcare law, and mergers and acquisitions. He also represents dentists, hospitals and physicians, and provides counsel on matters including, but not limited to, Anti-kickback Safe-harbors, Certificate of Need (CON), Corporate Compliance and Stark exceptions. He has substantial experience in estate planning, financial transactions and contract negotiations, including exclusive service contracts and joint ventures with an emphasis in healthcare. He served as a Law Clerk to South Carolina Circuit Court Judge James H. Price, Jr. from1979-1980.
Mr. Crawford’s experience also includes:
- Representation of the largest healthcare system in South Carolina since 1980. He served as a principal member of the legal team that successfully "merged" Baptist Healthcare System of South Carolina, Inc., and Richland Memorial Hospital into Palmetto Health, a 1,247-bed nonprofit hospital system, in 1997. The transaction involved anti-trust analysis, contract, CON, Certificate of Public Advantage, constitutional and regulatory issues.
- Successful representation of Governor Carroll A. Campbell in decennial reapportionment of the S.C. House, Senate and Congressional Districts from 1990 to 1993.
- Successful prosecution of collection action in the case R.C. McEntire and Company v. Eastern Foods, Inc., 702 F.2d 471 (1983). The case reaffirmed doctrine of "defacto merger" in South Carolina.
- Successful representation of former Athletic Director of the University of South Carolina in breach of contract against the University in 1989.
- Successful representation of University Athletic Director before National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) in 1990.
- Representation of accountants across South Carolina in the defense of malpractice claims, peer review and subpoena compliance.
- Representation of numerous physicians and medical groups in the sale of their practices to hospitals.
Pro Bono/Community Involvement
- Columbia Chamber of Commerce: Board Member 2015-2016
- Rotary Club of Columbia: Member 26 years; Paul Harris fellow
- American Heart Association: Executive Leadership Team for the Heart Ball 2011-2013
- Grandfather Golf and Country Club, Linville, NC: President 2010-2011; Board Member 2008-2013
- Boy Scouts of America: Eagle Scout; Former Troop Leader
Scholarly Lectures and Speaking Engagements
- 8/27/13 - Standards of Conduct per S.C. Code §33-8-300 and Fiduciary Duties and the Consequences of Breach
- 9/16/10 - Board of Directors Medical Practice Sales Issues. Sponsored by: South Carolina Association for CPAs (SCACPA). Click here to view notes from this presentation.
- 10/20/09 – Risk Management for Accountants with Personal Financial Planning Practices. Sponsored by: SCACPA
- 9/7/09 – Mitigating CPA's Malpractice Risk in Expert Witness Testimony. Sponsored by: SCACPA
- 2014, Certified Circuit Court Mediator by the S.C. Supreme Court and U.S. District Court