Frederick A. Crawford is a shareholder of Richardson Plowden & Robinson, P.A., in the Columbia office. He focuses his business practice on accounting professional liability defense, contract and corporate law, estate planning and probate administration, financial transactions, hospital/healthcare law, and asset acquisitions. He has substantial experience in financial transactions and contract negotiations. He also represents hospitals, physicians, and other healthcare providers and provides counsel on matters including, but not limited to, the Anti-kickback Safe-harbors, Corporate Compliance and Stark exceptions.
Mr. Crawford’s experience also includes:
- Served as a Law Clerk to South Carolina Circuit Court Judge James H. Price, Jr. from1979-1980.
- Representation of the largest healthcare system in South Carolina, Palmetto Health, since 1980. He served as a principal member of the legal team that successfully "merged" Baptist Healthcare System of South Carolina, Inc., and Richland Memorial Hospital into Palmetto Health, a 1,247-bed nonprofit hospital system, in 1997. The transaction involved anti-trust analysis, contract, CON, Certificate of Public Advantage, constitutional and regulatory issues.
- Successful representation of Governor Carroll A. Campbell in decennial reapportionment of the S.C. House, Senate and Congressional Districts from 1990 to 1993.
- Successful prosecution (joint) of collection action in the case R.C. McEntire and Company v. Eastern Foods, Inc., 702 F.2d 471 (1983). The case reaffirmed doctrine of "defacto merger" in South Carolina.
- Successful representation (joint) of former Athletic Director of the University of South Carolina in breach of contract action against the University in 1989.
- Successful representation (joint) of former University of South Carolina Athletic Director before National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) in 1990.
- Representation of accountants across South Carolina in the defense of malpractice claims, peer review and subpoena compliance.
- Representation of corporations and organizations in regards to contracts, corporate and financial transactions including, but not limited to financing, asset acquisitions, and asset purchases.
Pro Bono/Community Involvement
- Columbia Chamber of Commerce: Board Member 2015-2018
- Columbia Chamber of Commerce: Executive Committee, 2016-2018
- Rotary Club of Columbia: Member 26 years; Paul Harris fellow
- American Heart Association: Executive Leadership Team for the Heart Ball 2011-2013
- Grandfather Golf and Country Club, Linville, NC: President 2010-2011; Board Member 2008-2013
- Boy Scouts of America: Eagle Scout; Former Troop Leader
- Certified Circuit Court Mediator by the S.C. Supreme Court and U.S. District Court
Scholarly Lectures and Speaking Engagements
- 9/22/16 – How to Avoid Malpractice Claims for CPAs. Sponsored by: SCACPA
- 8/27/13 - Standards of Conduct for Board Members per S.C. Code §33-8-300; Fiduciary Duties and the Consequences of Breach
- 9/16/10 - Board of Directors Medical Practice Sales Issues. Sponsored by: South Carolina Association for CPAs (SCACPA). Click here to view notes from this presentation.
- 10/20/09 – Risk Management for Accountants with Personal Financial Planning Practices. Sponsored by: SCACPA
- 9/7/09 – Mitigating CPA's Malpractice Risk in Expert Witness Testimony. Sponsored by: SCACPA