Caleb M. Riser joined Richardson Plowden in 2009 in the Columbia office. He focuses his practice on construction law.
Mr. Riser’s experience includes:
- For six years, Mr. Riser was employed by TVS-DESIGN, located in Atlanta, Chicago, Dubai, and Shanghai. While at TVS, Mr. Riser worked on various institutional projects, as well as commercial office building and public assembly space design, and distinguished himself as chairman of the Professional Development Committee. His experience in architecture brings invaluable insight, knowledge and experience to the practice of construction law.
- While attending law school, Mr. Riser was chairman of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Board.
- While attending law school, Mr. Riser served as a law clerk at Richardson Plowden for two years.
Scholarly Lectures and Speaking Engagements
- 2017 Changes to the AIA Contract Documents, SC Bar (Winter 2018 and 2019)
- National Business Institue, Ethics for Constructionn Attorneys (Winter 2019)
- Improving the Project Outcome with Accurate and Effective Construction Contracting, Halfmoon Education, Inc. (Winter, 2017)
- South Carolina Law Enforcement Defense Conference: Defending Prisoner Litigation Claims (Fall, 2016)
- National Business Institute Seminar, "Construction Defect Litigation: From A to Z" (2016)
- HalfMoon Education, Inc. Seminar for Registered Engineers, "Reviewing Contracts for Design Services" (2015)
- Robert J. Rutland Institute’s Professional Ethics in Design and Building Continuing Education Seminar (2015)
- Georgia Chapter of the International Concrete Repair Institute, "Construction Law - Contract Principles," (2014)
- CEU Event for Young Professionals of the SC American Water Works Association and the Water Environment Association of SC (WEASC): "Basic Contract Principles" (2014)
- Mr. Riser has spoken on issues related to sustainable building design liability and LEED certification.
- Continuing Legal Education event: "AIA Contracts" presented by Lorman in Charleston, SC.
- Author, "Less is NOT More in Sustainable Design Building Contracts," The Defense Line, Volume 40 (2012)
- South Carolina Bar, Construction Law Section Council Member
- Advisory Council, The Therapy Place
- American Institute of Architects, Associate Member
- Certified Document Technician (CDT)
- Richland County Bar Association
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys' Association
- Defense Research Institute Member
- American Bar Association
- The Jefferson Society, Inc.
Awards, Honors, Accolades
- 2021, Listed in "Ones to Watch" by Best Lawyers in America®
- Recognized as one of the "Midlands' Legal Elite" in the area of Government Law by Greater Columbia Business Monthly, October 2018
- 2019-2016 Rising Star, South Carolina Super Lawyers for Construction Law
- Recipient, Torchbearer Award, the highest honor given to a University of Tennessee student
- Recipient, Alpha Rho Chi medal, which recognizes the most professional promise of the 2000 graduating architecture class
- SC Bar Leadership Academy, Class of 2014