Emily Gifford Lucey
Emily Gifford Lucey is a shareholder of Richardson Plowden in the Charleston office and formerly led the Firm's Construction Law Practice Group. Her statewide litigation practice focuses on construction law, including surety law and commercial litigation. Mrs. Lucey defends design professionals and contractors in complex construction defect cases. She has represented national, regional and local companies in construction defect matters.
Mrs. Lucey's experience includes:
- Defending design professionals in complex construction defect cases with millions of dollars in claimed damages.
- Assisting sureties with investigations, defaults and indemnification actions.
- Defending contractors and subcontractors in disputes related to multi-family construction.
- Assisting construction clients with contract review, dispute resolution, and corporate issues.
Scholarly Lectures and Speaking Engagements
Presenter, Top Five Things to Know about Surety Law in South Carolina, 2013 SC Bar Convention Construction Law CLE
Speaker, “Professional Negligence Defense for Architects and Engineers,” USC School of Law, Law Practice Workshop
"E-Verify" presentation for the South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys 2012 Corporate Counsel CLE
Pro Bono/Community Involvement
Pro bono special prosecutor for criminal domestic violence prosecution, South Carolina Attorney General's Office. Mrs. Lucey has served in this role since 2006.
Adjuunct Faculty, UofSC School of Law (Legal Writing Instructor)
Certified Circuit Court Mediator by the South Carolina Supreme Court
Certified Circuit Court Arbitrator by the South Carolina Supreme Court
Co-author, "A Survey of Certificate of Merit Statutes," The Construction Lawyer, Volume 34, Spring 2014, Journal of the ABA Forum on the Construction Industry
Co-author, Rocket Man: A Case Study on Engineers' Limitation of Liability Clauses
Co-author, Bonds and Suretyship Chapter, SC Bar Construction Law Deskbook (1st ed.)
Author, "The National Practitioner Data Bank: Not for Public Consumption," 42 Medical
Trial Technique Quarterly 223, 2002.
During law school, Mrs. Lucey served as the Editor-in-Chief of the Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Journal, as published by the American Bar Association Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section.
- Former Chair, Construction Law Section, South Carolina Bar
- Member, American Bar Association Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section (TIPS)
- Member, Fidelity and Surety Law Committee, Forum on the Construction Industry
- Member, Surety Claims Institute
- Past Member, National Association of Women in Construction
- Richland County Bar Association
- South Carolina Women Lawyers Association
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys Association
- Editor-in-Chief, TortSource (ABA Tort Trial Insurance Section Publication), 2013-2015
- Former Chair, TIPS Self Insurers and Risk Managers Committee
- SC Bar Leadership Academy, Class of 2013
- ABA TIPS Leadership Academy, 2010-2011
Awards, Honors, Accolades
- 2021-2018, Listed in Best Lawyers in America® for Construction Law
- 2020-2014 South Carolina Super Lawyer for Construction Litigation
- 2013, 2012 Rising Star, South Carolina Super Lawyers for Construction/Surety Law
- Rated AV Preeminent® for Ethical Standards and Legal Ability, Martindale-Hubbell