Frederick A. Crawford is a shareholder of Richardson Plowden & Robinson, P.A., in the Columbia office. He focuses his business practice on accounting professional liability defense, contract and corporate law, estate planning and probate administration, financial transactions, hospital/healthcare law, and asset acquisitions. He also represents hospitals, physicians, and other healthcare providers and provides counsel on matters including, but not limited to, the Anti-kickback Safe-harbors, Corporate Compliance and Stark exceptions.
Mr. Crawford’s experience also includes:
- Served as a Law Clerk to South Carolina Circuit Court Judge James H. Price, Jr. from1979-1980.
- Representation of the largest healthcare system in South Carolina, Palmetto Health, since 1980. He served as a principal member of the legal team that successfully "merged" Baptist Healthcare System of South Carolina, Inc., and Richland Memorial Hospital into Palmetto Health, a 1,247-bed nonprofit hospital system, in 1997.
- Successful representation of Governor Carroll A. Campbell, along with other attorneys, in decennial reapportionment of the S.C. House, Senate and Congressional Districts from 1990 to 1993.
- Successful prosecution (joint) of collection action in the case R.C. McEntire and Company v. Eastern Foods, Inc., 702 F.2d 471 (1983). The case reaffirmed doctrine of "defacto merger" in South Carolina.
- Successful representation (joint) of former Athletic Director of the University of South Carolina in breach of contract action against the University in 1989.
- Successful representation (joint) of former University of South Carolina Athletic Director before National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) in 1990.
- Representation of accountants across South Carolina in the defense of malpractice claims, peer review and subpoena compliance.
- Representation of corporations and organizations in regards to contracts, corporate and financial transactions including, but not limited to asset acquisitions.
Pro Bono/Community Involvement
- Columbia Chamber of Commerce: Board Member 9/1/17 - 8/31/20
- Columbia Chamber of Commerce: Executive Committee, 9/1/18 - 9/31/20
- Rotary Club of Columbia: Member 26 years; Paul Harris fellow
- American Heart Association: Executive Leadership Team for the Heart Ball 2011-2013
- Grandfather Golf and Country Club, Linville, NC: President 2010-2011; Board Member 2008-2013
- Boy Scouts of America: Eagle Scout; Former Troop Leader
- Certified Circuit Court Mediator by the S.C. Supreme Court and U.S. District Court
Scholarly Lectures and Speaking Engagements
- 9/22/16 – How to Avoid Malpractice Claims for CPAs. Sponsored by: SCACPA
- 8/27/13 - Standards of Conduct for Board Members per S.C. Code §33-8-300; Fiduciary Duties and the Consequences of Breach
- 9/16/10 - Board of Directors Medical Practice Sales Issues. Sponsored by: South Carolina Association for CPAs (SCACPA). Click here to view notes from this presentation.
- 10/20/09 – Risk Management for Accountants with Personal Financial Planning Practices. Sponsored by: SCACPA
- 9/7/09 – Mitigating CPA's Malpractice Risk in Expert Witness Testimony. Sponsored by: SCACPA
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Columbia Estate Planning Council
- Richland County Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar
Awards, Honors, Accolades
Voted 2018 "Lawyer of the Year" for Columbia, S.C. in Healthcare Law by Best Lawyers in America®
Consistently listed in Best Lawyers in America® from 2009 - 2021 for Health Care Law
Rated AV Preeminent® for Ethical Standards and Legal Ability, Martindale-Hubbell American since 1994
Selected as one of the Columbia area Legal Elite in Business Law by Greater Columbia Business Monthly, October 2020, 2018, 2015, 2014, 2012, 2011
Selected as one of the Columbia area Legal Elite in Healthcare Law by Greater Columbia Business Monthly, October 2018, 2017, 2012
Selected as one of the Columbia area Legal Elite in Corporate Law (Mergers & Acquisitions) by Greater Columbia Business Monthly, October 2019, 2018, 2016
American Jurisprudence Award in Constitutional Law, 1976 & 1977
- Download vCard