Jared H. Garraux joined Richardson Plowden in 2007 in the Columbia office. In 2014, he was named a shareholder in the Firm. He currently serves as the Firm's Construction Ptractice Group Leader. He focuses his practice primarily on construction law, including construction litigation, construction delay claims, contract drafting and negotiation, claims resolution and avoidance, design professional claims and insurance defense. In addition, Mr. Garraux has represented numerous entities in matters involving general liability, products liability and premises liability. Mr. Garraux also provides counsel to businesses involved in contract disputes. Mr. Garraux has represented clients in both State and Federal Court proceedings, as well as in Arbitration.
Prior to entering law school, Mr. Garraux worked in the construction industry for nearly a decade, serving as an estimator and project manager in a variety of construction disciplines , including highway construction, site development, heavy civil construction and industrial construction. Because of his professional experience in the construction industry, Mr. Garraux understands the unique challenges that construction professionals and owners face when developing and constructing projects.
As a construction professional, Mr. Garraux estimated and managed millions of dollars of work. He has a keen understanding of estimating, project procurement, payment applications, change order procedure and CPM scheduling in both the public and private sectors. His construction knowledge, along with over a decade of legal experience, provides his construction clients with the best possible representation when disputes arise.
Mr. Garraux currently serves on the Board of Directors for the South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association (“SCDTAA”). Outside of the office, Mr. Garraux enjoys spending time with his wife and four children and exploring the outdoors.
Mr. Garraux’s Experience Includes:
- Representing owners, contractors, subcontractors, architects, engineers and other construction-related entities in a variety of disputes.
- Contract drafting and negotiation.
- Business and contract disputes.
- Assisting contractors with obtaining licensure before the South Carolina Contractor Licensing Board.
- Defending and prosecuting contractor delay claims.
- Representing construction professionals in mechanics lien and surety bond claims.
- Payments disputes, performance and payment bond claims.
- Representing construction professionals in construction defect litigation.
- Representing clients involved in disputes before administrative agencies and in arbitration.
- Serving as an arbitrator for construction and business disputes.
- Certified by S.C. Supreme Court as an Arbitrator
Scholarly Lectures and Speaking Engagements
- Lecturer, Multi-Use Urban Projects – SCDOT Requirements for Right-of-Way Access (2016)
- Lecturer, Construction Defect Litigation – Insurance Coverage Issues (2016)
- Lecturer, South Carolina Building Codes (2009, 2011)
Pro Bono/Community Involvement
- Co-founder, the Columbia Basketball League, in which attorneys from the community provide support to the Epworth Children's Home.
- Production Editor, ABA Real Property, Probate and Trust Journal (2006-2007)
- Certified Arbitrator
- Board of Directors, South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys’ Association (SCDTAA)
- Past President, Young Lawyers Division of SCDTAA (2010-2012)
- Member, Construction Industry Advisory Board for CSM Department at Clemson University
- Member, Construction Section of the South Carolina Bar
- Member, Defense Research Institute
- Leadership Columbia, Class of 2013 Graduate
Awards, Honors, Accolades
- 2021, Listed in Best Lawyers in America® for Construction Law
- 2019 Golden Gavel Award, Westfield Insurance
- 2020, 2019, 2018, Recognized as one of the "Midlands' Legal Elite" in the area of Construction Law by Greater Columbia Business Monthly
- 2017-2014 Rising Star, South Carolina Super Lawyers for Construction Law Rated BV Distinguished® for Ethical Standards and Legal Ability, Martindale-Hubbell American Finalist, South Carolina Lawyers Weekly 2011 Emerging Legal Leaders
- October 2015, Selected as one of the Columbia area Legal Elite by Greater Columbia Business Monthly