Shelton W. Haile is a shareholder in the Columbia office. His statewide litigation practice focuses on defending private and governmental healthcare providers in medical malpractice and civil rights actions, as well as in administrative and general litigation matters. In addition to his work representing healthcare industry clients, Mr. Haile has represented national, regional and local companies in general litigation matters. He has extensive experience at the trial level in both state and federal courts.
His experience also includes:
- Managing appellate matters in the United States Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit and South Carolina appellate courts.
- Representing hospitals, ranging from a Level 1 trauma center to community hospitals. He also represents skilled nursing facilities, assisted living facilities, adult day health service providers and correctional institutions and facilities throughout the state.
- Representing physicians, nurses and other healthcare providers, including surgeons, anesthesiologists, neonatologist, OB/GYNs, gastroenterologists, podiatrists, pain specialists, nephrologists, radiologists, neurosurgeons, ophthalmologists, orthopaedic surgeons, physical therapists, and massage therapists.
- Defending medical malpractice cases involving a broad range of medical issues including shoulder dystocia, birth injuries, anoxic encephalopathy, fractures, infections, medication errors, dialysis and more.
- He has represented clients in over 30 of South Carolina’s 46 counties.
Pro Bono/Community Involvement
- Palmetto Health Children's Hospital Board (Executive Committee Member and Champions Society Committee Chairman)
- 2014 American Heart Association Midlands Heart Ball (Executive Leadership Team)
- Palmetto Health Institutional Review Board
- March 2015, Obtained a Defense Verdict in Pamela Stuck, as Personal Representative of the Estate of Helen
M. Spalding v. Dr. James B. Tribble, Individually and as Agent, Servant or Employee of Surgical Associates of South Carolina, PA; Dr. Heyward H. Fouche, Individually and as Agent, Servant or Employee of Critical Health Systems of South Carolina, PA d/b/a American Anesthesiology; Palmetto Health Alliance d/b/a Palmetto Health Baptist; Surgical Associates of South Carolina, PA and Critical Health Systems of South Carolina, PA d/b/a American Anesthesiology
- May 2014, Obtained a Defense Verdict in Thelma E. Sanders, acting by and through her attorney-in-fact, Patricia M. Evans v. M. David Mitchell, MD, Michael R. Henderson, MD and Orthopaedic Associates, PA
- South Carolina legislative updates, published by the Defense Research Institute
- South Carolina Bar (Former member of the Law Student Liaison Committee and of the Young Lawyers Division, Professional Development Committee)
- Richland County Bar Association
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys' Association, (Member, Medical Malpractice Committee; Graduate, Trial Academy)
- Defense Research Institute
- The Harmonie Group (Member, Medical Malpractice Defense and Health Care Practice Committee)
- Download vCard